ARE YOU PREPARED?
In the aftermath of the October 2019 Weather Event in western Manitoba, how many residents in the RM of Reynolds are equipped to handle 3 -16 days of no hydro service.
The residents, who have generators, with a sufficient amount of fuel and a heat source independent of hydro may fair quite well.
The following excerpt is from the Manitoba Hydro Emergency Preparedness Handbook.
There may be conditions under which you will decide to evacuate, or there may be situations when you are ordered to leave. Plan how you will assemble your family and anticipate where you will go. Choose several destinations in different directions so you have options in an emergency.
Create an evacuation plan
- Plan places where your family will meet both within and outside your immediate neighbourhood.
- If you have a vehicle, keep a half tank of gas in it at all times.
- If you do not have a car, plan how you will leave if you have to.
- Take your emergency supply kit unless you have reason to believe it has been contaminated
- lock the door behind you
If time allows
- Let others know when you leave and where you are going.
- If there is damage to your home and you are instructed to do so, shut off water, gas and electricity before leaving.
- Check with neighbours who may need a ride
Remember to take:
- Extra Clothing
- Essential medications, medicines, denture needs, feminine hygiene products and toiletries
- Personal documents and family identification
Plan for your pets
- Pets should not be left behind. Take them with you. Plan how you will care for your pets in an emergency
- Food and supplies for your pet